Monday, March 31, 2008

New Orleans Part 2: The Work We Did

We worked in a residential area for 3 1/2 days which was really interesting. I was able to stay within 1-2 blocks the entire time and spent most of my working hours nailing boards onto porch ceilings. I am now a master porch-maker! The dad I was working with was SO incredibly patient with me and the other workers and for that I am forever grateful. Thanks to him I now have skills that I can carry with me for a lifetime! The work was definitely tiring, and draining at points but I think we all learned many valuable skills.

This is a church that Extreme Home Makeover built- my group helped to finish the landscaping and mulching since EHM apparently skipped out early ;)

One of the residential streets we were working on

Siding crew-- they did an awesome job, especially towards the end finishing everything up!

The first porch ceiling I worked on-- just getting started!



A and I about 1/2 way through-- the lights were an interesting experience- measuring, cutting, measuring and cutting again sometimes...

Almost to the end of the last porch- working with C, a guy from another group who joined us for the day

The end of this porch was the death of me...see that tiny piece on the far right? It took Mr. L and I a good 30-45 minutes to get it and the piece to its left up and in like a puzzle piece. I thought my arms were going to fall off!

I also got to show off my spackling skills- my dad would be so proud!!

My friend B and I after a long, hot, tiring work day
The inside of a house our group was wiring

2 comments:

  1. What a great experience. I Would love to do something like this. You should be so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no monkey chattering. Ahaha. Well, really, I think you had fun out there. It goes to show with your photos. I cannot do the hammering, I'm kind of lame when it comes to those stuff. Much more hamerring the ceiling. =D Great Work!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)