Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Kind words

The day to day acts of teachers go pretty much unnoticed. This is fine with me, as I *hate* being the center of attention and all that jazz.

It is awesome when parents acknowledge us while picking up their children though. We have a few parents who open the door to our classroom, call their child's name, and wait until the child comes their way before stepping back outside. No eye contact, no words spoken to us, even if we've had the care of their child for 5 hours. I have to say, this bugs me. I much prefer the mothers (or fathers!) who come with their older/younger children to pick up my students, talk to us about their child's day, tell us stories, and 90% of the time are not in a rush to leave.

Anyway, that's not what I came to post about.

Today, in the midst of a normally crazy school day, my boss expressed some kind words that stuck with me all day.

It was at the beginning of naptime, the most stressful part of my day lately. I was dealing with the nappers- Mai had just peed on the pavement outside, Aly had hit her head on the playset, and the other ten nappers were on their way inside to use the restroom. Aly put a wet paper towel on her head to "help" her head feel better, so she was in the nap room with Cara. I took Lilahbelle and Mai next door to use the restroom and then Lilahbelle wet her pants while in there. Mai, our ever-complaining child lately, said that she also hit her head (she didn't) and needed a paper towel. So, I had the computer teacher keep an eye on Lilah and Mai while I ran next door to grab Lilah's dry clothes and a plastic bag to put her wet clothes into. When I returned, Mai was still complaining about her head and then Lilah told me her underpants were too small...

eventually we got all the chaos figured out, Lilah in clean, dry clothes and Mai with a wet paper towel sitting on her head (whatever keeps the child quiet at naptime, let me tell ya. Within reason, that is).

In the midst of all the craziness, my boss walked in to use the copy machine, observing me and the girls before commenting, "Bethany, you do a very good job with the children. Very good. I just want you to know that."

Seriously made my day

1 comment:

  1. She's right, you know. :)

    My mother works at a free daycare for high school students with kids. Almost none of them acknowledge her and her coworkers when picking the kids, even though they have just been watching them all day... for free. I think it is making my mother a bit... disappointed in society in general.

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)