Monday, September 22, 2008

Patience

I guess in some ways, this goes hand in hand with my previous post

Patience.

Something we probably all wished we had an endless supply of. In the course of my daily work life, my patience is tried MANY times, especially since we are at the beginning of a new school year. Most of the new students in my school blend in easily, making new friends and becoming fast favorites with their teachers. 

However, there are a precious few children in my care who make me SO impatient! I patiently wait for them to wash their hands for lunch, for them to stop playing with work when they are supposed to be in lunch circle, for them to finish their lunch so they can go outside to play with their friends. I wait, patiently as possible, for them to use the restroom (usually singing a loud tune) before nap, for them to calm down on their cots, for them to get up from their cots, fold their blankets, put on their socks and shoes...

Some days, it seems all I ever do is wait. Most of the time I don't mind, I find it amusing and a part of my wonderful job. 

Today, though...oy! 

One of my wonderful students from last year, Zach, is now a Kindergartener. He knows that he needs to try and eat every part of his lunch- grain, vegetable, protein, fruit. He sat, stubbornly, from 11:30 until almost 12:30, first refusing to even try a carrot, and then pouting at the thought of helping to clean a mess made on the floor by him and one of his buddy lunchers. We were patient with him, but unrelenting.

 Cara was dealing with him inside for a while, as I was outside with the rest of the lunchers. Eventually we switched places and I took over with Zach and preparing the nap room. One of the nappers and I brought out the cots and blankets while Zach sat in his chair. About ten minutes after his afternoon class began, I hand-delivered him to his teacher with a wink. Zach's last words when leaving our lunchroom were "Everyone always makes me do the hard work." Too cute, and he arrived in our afternoon room at 3:15 rarin' and ready to go, grin on his face. 

1 comment:

  1. I often wish I had more patience. I admire that you work with small children... I know I would never be able to.

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)