Wednesday, November 19, 2008

13 Things I Miss About My Grandfather

In reference to this post and this one...

My old Gpa...things that would have driven me crazy when he was himself, but that I would love to see now

1. The way he would use, re-use, and re-use again paper towels after hanging them over a chair

2. The way he'd stop precisely every two hours on a road trip and check the gas mileage on the car. Man never went above 60 on a highway, I don't think

3. He used to video tape us giving "interviews" to each other when I was like 8 years old

4. He took us to the lake one summer when we were staying with him and taped us jumping and laughing in the water

5. He loved helping at his church, and I remember vividly going to church with him on many early summer mornings. There are a few women who would be there and LOVED to see us every time we visited

6. At the same church on Sunday mornings, there were bagels and donuts galore. Seeing as how we were close to NYC, the bagels were the best EVER

7. He would take us around his 20+ acre property and point out all the different kinds of flowers and trees. I thought it was horribly boring as an 8 year old, but what I would give to hear that same information now

8. He took us into the cave on his property where we could explore every tiny crevice- that place was so cool!

9. He had a stand for his bees and honey at the local fair, which we also visited with him

10. He always, always had ice cream in his freezer, ready for us to tear into

11. He forever told tales of the bears and wild animals that roamed his property

12. He enjoyed feeding us fruits for "dessert"...but then let us have ice cream

13. He always greeted us with a great big bear hug!

I miss you, Gpa.

30 comments:

  1. Your post made me think about my own grandfather. He suffered from this ailment as well. Laugh and smile when you can . . . it helps (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes, I know what you mean about New York bagels!!!!

    I miss my grandfather and he's been gone for decades. There is something about grandpas that make a girl happy.

    My 13 is posted...stop by and hopefully laugh once or twice with Jefé the wise ol' lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I can see why you miss him. And you know, you will be forever grateful to him for making those videotapes of you. What a wonderful family archive to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss mine too those are such personal fun memories I am so glad our minds can retain them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. There's nothing worse than loosing a pillar in your life. ((hug))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are truly blessed to have such wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing, Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very moving post and made me think about my own grandparents and as for that matter, my parents. Thank you.

    My TT is up at 13 Christmas Gifts for our Muslim Friends

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost my grandfather years ago and miss him more and more each day.

    I know the feeling you have.

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://www.thepinkflamingoblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. He sounds like an awesome man. I miss my grandpa too. He died almost 11 years ago. Not a day goes by that I dont wish I could have one more hour to spend with him. Ive never gotten over it. Great tribute. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless you, Bethany.
    And somewhere, deep within, your grandfather still knows that you love him.
    He may not recognize you, but in his spirit -
    he knows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems to me that grandpa stories are always the best. Even if it's just about animals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss my own grandfather as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandpa sounds like he was a very special fellow. And still is, I'm sure. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. I agree with Lori, sometimes it's easier when you can laugh about the silly things (my Mother in law had it and we have some funny stories, once we finished crying...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lost my grandfather six years ago next month to brain cancer. Though I think about him almost every day, I think he'll be on my mind a lot more today. You see, he was one of the two heroes in my life too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He sounds fab! You are lucky to have these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you make him sound so good and caring that I miss him too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. (((HUGS))) My grandmother passed away last summer after living with Alzheimer's for several years. It's so hard to see the people we love slowly fade away, but I am glad you have so many wonderful memories of him.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, I miss my grandpa too but this post makes me really miss my grandma.

    Well done Bethany.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bethany, that was so sweet. Thanks for sharing those precious memories.

    Stop by and visit my TT when you get a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never really knew my own grandpa. Be happy for the memories, you'll always have them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag where you can find Videos, Gif Images, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags.
    LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Visit for any Online Jobs from Home
    OnlineJobs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Latest Automotive Information with Pictures, latest speedy cars, top vehicles
    TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Female Celebrties Facebook Covers, Most Popular Fb Covers in the Industry
    UniqueFbCovers.Com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Top Expensive Cars, top speedy cars, top most popular cars in the world
    TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Home Based Business Join Now without any Work
    Earn 400% within a Month
    Payout within 24 Hours with Perfect Money, OkPay and EgoPay
    Join Now
    Dollar-Inv.co

    ReplyDelete
  27. Earn Money with PayPal, Now you can earn 300% profit of your investment on every week, Join Now
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Best Investment Plan with PayPal PayPal PayPal
    Payout within 24 Hours with Perfect Money, PayPal, OkPay and EgoPay
    Join Now
    AllTimeProfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Get Likes on your Facebook Profile Picture, Facebook Shares, Facebook Comments, Youtube Views Comments and Likes and All Social Media Likes and Follows
    Contact Now Skype : Jobz.Corner
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)