Saturday, April 11, 2009

Blogs

How many blogs do you read regularly? How do you go about reading them? Do you use a reader? Know what pages you want to go to because they are the same every day?

I use Google Reader. I subscribe to 500+ blogs, websites, ads, etc. Close to 300 of them are actual blogs I enjoy reading. I keep them organized in folders (Books, Brazil, Facebook, Free, Gilmore Girls, Grey's Anatomy, Hooked, Meme, Montessori, Multiples, Not Updated Recently, People I Know, Random, Sick Babes, SITS, and The Office). For the most part, the folders pile up throughout the week until I have some downtime on the weekend

Once I see that reader # hit 1000+, I know I probably won't get a chance to read through them all. I always read the "People I Know" and "Sick Babes" folders, but after that it's a toss up. I typically read the blogs in "Hooked" and "SITS" once they have 5+ posts so that I can keep up with who is who. The number of unread items never goes below 100, though. Sometimes when I go out of town for a week or so, I read my absolute favorites and then just delete them all and start over!

Anyway, that's how I try and organize my blogs. How about you?

10 comments:

  1. Whoa! And I thought I was an organized person! I only follow 33 blogs (yours included). I'm very new to this whole thing and I read them in my dashboard. I'm still trying to figure out what Google reader is all about. I'm going to have to be careful not to get too addicted to this whole thing, because I do NOT have time to organize 500+ blogs let alone read all of them. YIKES!

    BTW, I love The Office! I follow Jenna's and Angela's blogs on myspace but I don't know of any other Office "blogs". I'll have to figure out more about that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read about 350 and have them in folders as well. I do prioritize! I try not to mark all as read, but sometimes I have to! It can be overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is well into the hundreds. I don't use a reader, yet. I organize them in my delicious account and it works well for me. I'm so worried that I'd completely get out of control with a reader. This way, I check the blogs when I have time and can read what I want. I've also been using the Google followers recently, but don't keep track of a ton that way.

    It is so hard to keep up with, yet there is so much great info out there I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been blogging for a few years and haven't even come close to the amount of blogs you follow...WOW!!!

    I love your Monkey blog...I love Monkeys!!!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh NO! I think you just opened a new portal to addiction! I didn't even know there was a thing called a reader?!?! I am going to have to find out about this!!

    I COMPLETELY understand girl, what you are saying about the Catholic thing. It took a long time for me to get it all worked out to where I am today. But I'm sure it is a life's journey that I will just continue to grow in:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally impressed! I have about 20 that I keep bookmarked and visit daily, but other than that I just get overwhelmed. There are so many great people out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FOLDERS! I am WOW-ed! Like you, I follow a gazillion (that is a number, isn't it?) and I just catch up on them as I can....rather haphazardly, I'm embarrassed to admit.

    And now, I'm adding yours to the list! :)
    (thanks for commenting on my blog...I love yours!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that efficient and much better than my system, which isn't really one at all!

    I didn't know there was an Office blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you! WOW!

    I just did a little random snippet today, wondering how you all keep your blogging organized and under control. I can't seem to do it!

    I only have 13 blogs in my reader. Any more and I don't know what I'd do!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still scroll through individual blogs vs. a reader.
    But I know I've probably reached the point of using one. Luckily, I have an easy job that allows me to read, read, read. (:-D

    Also, I have a different blog roll here at work than at home so I can break it into more manageable pieces.

    I really like your idea of folders and such though. Must ponder that further...

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)