Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pinwheels

It's almost the end of a 50+ hour work week and I am SO glad to see Friday come around- as well as some sunshine, finally!

We were still stuck inside yesterday due to rain, so I pulled out a craft book from the 70s and made construction paper pinwheels with the kids. It's SO very easy, although I don't suggest helping four kiddos simultaneously...speaking from experience here ;) And really, the only reason I don't suggest that is because the kids are suddenly at four different parts of the project and the adult's mind will be pulled in lots of directions... ;)

You need:
square piece of paper (we used 9x9)
scissors
hole punch/toothpick (larger is better)
Pipe cleaner


We started with the square pieces of paper. Fold to make a triangle, one way and then the other, creating an X in the paper. Unfold.

Poke a hole in the middle of the paper.
Beginning on the outside, cut along the lines you made towards the middle. Leave some space, about an inch or so between the middle hole and your cuts. For best results, move your fingers (showing the kids how far to cut) before they get too close with those scissors!

Poke four holes in the paper, one in each triangle (the kids had a problem with this step, wanting to make eight holes, forgetting which side to make the holes on, etc.)

Poke the pipe cleaner up through the middle hole, then through the holes along the edge

Viola! I made a bun-shaped knot on the front to keep the paper connected, then popped the whole thing back a bit because we found the pinwheels worked better opened up. The kids had a BLAST with the pinwheels outside this afternoon, turning every which way to catch the wind. :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could succeed with this project. Pipe cleaners & I have a history of a bad relationship.

    Great idea, though! Maybe Pat could try it w/ Aidan some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun project!

    I'm just getting around to catching up with everyone. I wanted to say thanks so much for your sweet words about my uncle. It meant a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That could totally be awesome with some cute scrapbook paper.....ohhh, I feel a girls's night craft fest coming on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)