Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!



Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! I am so very thankful for my mom, especially on this day. I tried to find a picture of the two of us...the best I could do was cropping both of us out of this photo from last summer. Hehe.

My mom and I are a lot alike-- we are both the oldest of seven children, our favorite color is blue, we will wear the same clothes, neither of us like dogs, we enjoy reading the same books, neither of us like to shop, we both have blue eyes and love children, neither of us are "girly" at ALL...I could go on and on!

We're also quite different though, too! Mom is much shyer than me. She hates, HATES public speaking, she'd rather stay at home than travel, I don't think she'd do most of the things I do alone, and I don't see her ever blogging, let alone meeting anyone she met online. Of course, I'd never do that either! ;)

My mom has been a tremendous support system for me, especially over the last two years as I've moved four times (including back to their house), changed jobs, gone through another depression bout, etc. She's talked me through a rough roommate situation, a depressing summer when we probably talked daily...

Really though, my mom's a saint. She has seven living children in addition to four in Heaven. She's almost finished with her 14th (!!!!) year of homeschooling. One of the things I always admired about my mom (and even more so now as a teacher) is that she could be SO stinkin' mad at me one of us children and still talk to Shae, Amata, Sam, Bryan, Lily, and Rachael the other family members in a normal tone of voice as if nothing was wrong, seconds after administering a spanking or enduring a door slamming in her face. Ahem. Let's just say I gave her a run for her money, although my littlest sister Rachael is following in my footsteps. It's only right...after all, we're the bookends of the family, and she is my Shadow for a reason!

Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Such an uplifting post about you and your Mom. Loved getting this little peek into your life. Sounds like the two of you are very close.

    I have a similar relationship with my own Mom! :)

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something has to be said about mothers with large bunches of children. I still don't know how my mom did it.
    Your post was a great tribute to your mom. Hope she gets the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother is truly a saint! She sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bethany this is beautiful. I'm so glad your mom saw this. Did she tell you she cried...

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)