Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ice Cream


Way back in December, I went to visit one of my best friends who lives 6 hours away. Beforehand, I was talking to my co-worker Cara and we were discussing our holiday break plans. When I mentioned I was traveling to PA, she told me her grandparents live there as well. As the conversation continued we discovered that her grandparents live less than an hour from where I grew up. We laughed at the irony and Cara suggested I try out her favorite ice cream shop-- one I'd been to every year on my way to 4-H camp (which, of course, is about 5 minutes from her grandparents!).

When I arrived in PA, Stevie and I set out to hit the very same ice cream shop. To my dismay, it was closed so the employees could enjoy a Christmas holiday. Poor Cara was saddened by the news because I told her I'd bring a container back just for her! The months went by and neither Cara nor I made it to PA again as winter melted into spring. The ice cream was forgotten about, until I began to plan my most recent trip.

I asked Stevie if, for SURE, was the ice cream shop going to be open so I could surprise Cara with her oh-so-amazing vanilla (can you believe it? That's her fave!) frozen treat. Stevie replied that she thought so, but of course couldn't promise anything. Cara kept pestering me (nicely) about meeting up because she had borrowed a few bags from me to travel overseas earlier in June. I finally told her that I had something for her (which of course I didn't, YET!) and we arranged to hook up at school yesterday. I thought for sure she would know what I was bringing for her, since she knew I was heading to PA and hello, didn't she remember I told her six months ago I'd bring her ice cream!?!

All the way to PA, I was crossing my fingers the darn ice cream place would be open- because if not, I definitely didn't have anything ELSE to give Cara!

Luckily, the shop was open and I carried a half gallon of ice cream across state lines. It's a good thing my cooler works well, because it was a hot summer day! Nevertheless, the ice cream made it safely to Big City and then from my apartment to work and work to school early yesterday. Cara stuffed my bags in the back of my car and I told her,

"There's something for you in the front seat."

She looked so perplexed but went to look, muttering, "What??"

I replied, "Hey, you know where I went this past weekend..." and allowed my voice to stop there.

I heard a gasp, "NO WAY!!!!!!!!" and then her face lit up with a huge smile and a "You DIDN'T!!!!, AHHH!!!! I love you!!!! I can't believe you remembered!"

Hahaha...it was so funny! I love surprising people, even if it is with vanilla ice cream. (Btw, I have nothing against vanilla ice cream. I love it- I just wouldn't say it's my favorite flavor offered at the ice cream shop so far away!)

J & Z had just one question about this whole endeavor-- "Why can't Cara just get her own ice cream??"

7 comments:

  1. I bet that vanilla ice cream never tasted soooo good! What a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get it. I love ice cream and can imagine feeling the same way about my FAVORITE shop. though, like you, I'd pick a more exotic flavor. You're a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a sweetie! Hee hee. That reminds me of the time I drove 400 miles with Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream to share with my family. It was a few years ago, and now their town has a Cold Stone. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! I started my blog for women like yourself, to uncover some of the things about parenting that no one ever tells you. It's certainly not a 'grass is greener' type of thing. I was a nanny for awhile before I had kids as well, and, well, it's just not the same! There is so much about being a mom that can be so overwhelming and earth shattering, and then there are times that make you feel like you are on top of the world. It's a journey like anything else in life, and as much as we try to prepare ourselves for it, as many expose's as I can write, there will still be things that hit you that you never even considered!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so sweet! I bet that ice cream never tasted so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. honestly, I was frustrated at first, but was quickly brought into check, b/c this is PRECISELY why I started this blog. I lived under this glorious fantasy about what being a mom would be like, what kind of mom I would be, but, as my previous profile stated, I was FLOORED by reality when it hit. There are just some things that other people's kids can't prepare you for!;) The things (for the most part) that I write about are things that I WISH someone had warned me about, prepared me for, etc., before I had kids. For years, I would sit in the privacy of my basement, dreaming about being a SAHM. Some women love the crap out of it. Some just say they do. I choose to be honest. There are fantastic days, and there are down right horrible days. Being on 3 different anti-depressants and sleep aids and anti-anxiety meds all at the same time, for example, b/c of post-partum depression...and then trying to get OFF of those? I never expected that to be a piece of the pie!

    Parents are a type of "elitist" group, if you will, only b/c if you don't have kids, you simply can't relate, but at the same time, single/no kids people become their own elitist group as well, because, I no longer relate to that lifestyle. I would get so frustrated when Ironman was a baby b/c Rockstar's best friend would call at 11 pm to go hang out.

    It's just different.

    I really thought my comment wouldn't come across the way you took it, I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama4Real,
    What does any of this have to do with ice cream? Just wondering...

    I actually know Bethany personally, and let me assure you, she does NOT picture only a fantasy world for motherhood.

    And before you go there-YES, I AM a mom, too. I'm 29 years old, I have 2 little boys, like you.

    Knowing Bethany like I do, I can honestly say that she spends more time with some kids than their own parents do.
    True, she is not a mother yet, but that doesn't mean she can't offer some good, objective advice.
    Why scoff just because her title doesn't match yours?
    That seems awfully shallow, or perhaps "elitist".

    If she WAS one of those types to sit in her basement and just dream of all the fun, thinking being a mom is all that, then I would have to agree with you.

    HOWEVER, I have the privilege of knowing her personally, and your "gracious" words are not really that gracious. In fact, they could be perceived as quite painful.

    The nice thing about having your own blog is that you CAN make it private. You DO have the option to delete comments. Or just ignore them.
    Why that might be a challenge for you, I'm not sure.
    Bethany does not deserve to be belittled here, on her own blog.
    She especially does not deserve to be bashed on Twitter between you & whomever else.

    Yes, I'm defending my friend here.
    Another "elitist" from that parenting group you referred to.

    "Women like you" does not apply here. Please save it for another place.

    Oh, and it really IS helpful when you offer an e-mail, so hurtful things like this could be done one-on-one.
    If you have a problem with anything I said, you can find my e-mail address on my blog profile page.

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)