Sunday, September 20, 2009

Crazy Weekend

My sisters just left to go home, so I have a few minutes to catch up online. It's been a very hectic weekend, beginning with two hospitalizations of family members.

My paternal grandfather was admitted to the hospital Thursday evening after vomiting something dark (I think that's what my mom said?). My dad didn't find out about it until Friday night and he drove to NJ, where he still is. My grandpa had surgery yesterday morning to repair a few hernias and an abdominal obstruction--- we don't know any more at this point. He also suffers from Alzheimer's and has pneumonia, apparently. Sigh. We are/ were supposed to visit him this coming weekend but I'm not sure what's happening with that. My poor boss is going to have a busy few weeks on her hands.

Also, my uncle's former wife (she's technically an ex-aunt but we have a good relationship with her and I don't think of her as not our fam anymore) was hit by a car on Sept. 10th (yes, first we've heard of it) while walking across the street near Los Angeles. I guess her mom didn't have contact info for our family except for my grandma's address so she wrote her a letter and that's how we found out. She's been in the ICU since (was life flighted from the scene) and is responsive but has head injuries, a broken leg, injuries to her back and hand and a tracheotomy. I visited her almost three years ago and we'd tried to make another visit work since then but the timing of our school breaks (she's a teacher, too) always conflicted.

I haven't heard an update on my co-teacher's daughter. Hopefully I'll know more Monday or Tuesday. It's going to be a long week!

7 comments:

  1. Aw Bethany, I'm sorry to hear of your family members being the hospital! Definite prayers for them.

    Aside from that, did you have a nice weekend with your sisters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. :( I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa and ex-aunt. I hope they are both better soon! My aunt (dad's sis) divorced her husband, and my family all really liked him, but we can't talk to him anymore. A similar thing happened with my BiL's wife... it's weird when family members are taken away like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!

    You are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have had a run of bad luck lately. I'm sending good wishes for a speedy recovery for your aunt, grandpa, your co-workers daughter and your arm. {{Hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your grandfather and aunt. Sending you happy thoughts for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your Grandfather and Aunt. We have been going through many hospitalizations and such with my Maternal Grandpa so I know how you are feeling! I hope everyone recovers quickly! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)