Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Salt Lake City Baby!


One of my favorite photos from the whole trek across America!

Wow! I've gotten almost ten new followers in the last few days- I'm not even sure what I did, but Welcome!!!

Most of the time I don't feel like my postings are even comment worthy, so I'm a little overwhelmed- and now I have to try to keep you all reading! Haha... actually, I have a question! Where do you all upload your pics from for your blogs? I was using Flickr but you can only see the last 200 pics and I go over that VERY quickly! The photos in this post are clickable (to enlarge) and just uploaded to Blogger but more of a pain to organize, you know?

This week is so wacky, but because I'm so busy, it's speeding by! It sounds like my "baby" (okay, okay she's 9...) sister will be coming for a visit for a few days early next week, so posting might be sparse. I feel like I'm always saying that!

~

So, back to my travels! Our second night on the road, we stopped in Salt Lake City. As far as driving goes, we'd driven from North Platte, Nebraska down to Fort Collins, Colorado and then a few hours west (thanks to that brother of mine...), back up to Nebraska and west to SLC!



I was EXCITED for Salt Lake City. I don't know why but I've always wanted to visit there and I got my wish, for a few hours. If it was up to my brother, he wouldn't have stopped there at night because it was only 9 pm, but I'd been talking to one of my message board friends, and we'd planned to meet up the following morning. Since I felt bad, I sprung for a night in a cheap hotel- ohhh the hot shower and bed felt SO nice after many, many miles on the road!

It was dark when we arrived but the next day I thoroughly enjoyed the view. I just thought it was so cool to see a city between the mountains-- picturesque and I could have explored all day! After meeting with my friend and her two adorable boys though, we quickly hit the pavement, tires rolling overtime!

As we drove around (literally) some of the mountains, I thought about how awesome a backdrop like that would be for a dream home... but it's so dry and brown, I just don't think I could do it!

After what seemed like just a few miles on the highway, the city faded away, the desolate prairie taking its place. The sky was so vast, so open...

This right here is my dad's dream home...I wish I was kidding! (Okay so maybe not the barn, but he'd love to be in the middle of nowhere!)

Magnificent really even explain the vastness of this area of the US!

Eventually we entered Idaho, where it was 106*. Our car had no A/C (along with a radio that only worked about half the time...yea...) so after a few hours on the road with the windows down, we stopped for gas and this is what I found.
POOF!

Idaho was dry, dry, dry (well, duh, with temperatures like that what did I expect?!)


Oregon (or at least the part we saw!) looked so dry as well. I was surprised by this- I guess I hear my uncle talk about Portland and hadn't expected so much dry land!

I found this along the highway which reminded me of the old computer game "Oregon Trail"

And as the sun set in Oregon, we were mere hours from the state of our final destination- we were both too giddy/slaphappy to sleep...

10 comments:

  1. Stopping in from SITS! To answer your questions about pictures, I just upload mine from my computer. It's just easier for me I guess. I wouldn't want to live way out in the middle of nowhere either. Living in the middle of nowhere scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Here from SITS this morning. You have a wonderful blog and these are great pictures! I just upload my pictures from my computer as well. I think they have improved the picture feature on blogger and it works okay for me.

    I wanted to say that I LOVE Matt Nathanson - I saw that you like him in your profile!

    Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Good luck on your Debt Free journey... I'll be here to cheer you on and support you the whole way!

    I use Photobucket and I love it. I'm nowhere near my limit and I can't even tell you how many pictures I have on there---videos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I'm so jealous! Salt Lake City looks gorgeous! I upload my photos from Flickr...and am not sure what you mean by the 200 comment, though I have a pro membership, so I don't know if that changes things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that last picture is beautiful!!

    I use photobucket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i use windows live writer and my pics are stored in piccassa, i think. wlw makes it so easy to add my pics into my post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl, just found your blog on SITS and thought I would drop by! Very cool :)

    My personal blog:
    www.finewire.blogspot.com

    If you are ever interested in a new blog design, I would love to work with you!
    www.onefineblogdesign.blogspot.com

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey!!

    Thanks for checking out my blog and commenting on my post!! :D You about the only one that does, hehe. But it's a start!!

    I love love love those pics! My Dad has the same dream house!! LOL. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More great pics (love the hair!). I just upload from my computer (Iphoto on my mac and the picture folder on my PC) to blogspot. I didnt even know there was another way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! I especially love the last one of the sunset!
    I see that you are a teacher, too!
    Visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)