Sunday, September 27, 2009

Breakdown and Beyond


Yes, indeed. Our car broke down, just a few miles from the Wyoming state border. As you can see there isn't much to look at in the middle of the US.
IMG_9358 by you.

Let me explain. I know absolutely nothing about cars, but when the muffler area of the car began smoking, I decided that wasn't a good sign and nudged my brother, who had plugged into his ipod seconds after we got gas and switched drivers. We decided to pull over to the side of the road and since my brother doesn't know much about cars either, we called my dad. From the description of the white smoke, he thought it might have something to do with the oil...but since there was a town just 5 miles away, we kept driving, slowly.
IMG_9357 by you.
We made it to Wyoming! Yay!

I don't remember what the name of the town was that we stopped in, but it was VERY small. It had an Alligator Motel, a gas station, one church, and that's about it! Thankfully, after two hours waiting and less than $100 in repairs, we were back on the road! The car repair turned out to be something transmission-related, a tiny hole in some pipe or something?
IMG_9359 by you.


My brother and I wanted to see Colorado, so we took a detour not long after entering Wyoming. My plan was just to drive to the "Welcome to Colorado" sign and then turn around. My brother said that was boring, to drive back the same way as we came in, and chose a different road on the map to have us travel on. We were in Colorado for FOUR hours. Thank you, bro, for your mad map skills.

IMG_9374 by you.

IMG_9376 by you.

IMG_9396 by you.
We enjoyed the mountains from afar, and then up close!


Here's what happened. He wanted to visit the first town in Colorado that we'd come to, which happened to be Fort Collins. Fine. Then, he had us head West instead of North, but the road that was on the map was a TINY road, in the middle of mountains, with a speed limit of about 20. It was 60 miles long... thus, our 4 hours in Colorado!

IMG_9417 by you.
IMG_9444 by you.

IMG_9447 by you.

I have to admit though, it was gorgeous, and I enjoyed the lonnnng drive. My brother slept through all of it and when he looked at the map later to see where we were, he was sorely disappointed to see that we hadn't gone far. Who's fault was that?

IMG_9452 by you.

The sky was so open and gorgeous-- perfect!
IMG_9463 by you.

Before we knew it (HAHA!) the mountains seemed far away again and the wide open plains were our friends! My brother was STILL sleeping, so I snapped a few photos while driving- he would have gotten mad if I stopped.

IMG_9479 by you.

IMG_9487 by you.
Isn't that cool?

IMG_9488 by you.

IMG_9490 by you.

Woohoo, fun roller coaster roads!!!

IMG_9492 by you.
I can imagine the horses LOVE their home if they live here!

IMG_9493 by you.
My friend Jess would absolutely love to live right here-- my dad, too. While I enjoyed my visit, I'm not sure I could do it!


At some point, we re-entered Wyoming- but in some of these pictures, I'm not sure if we're in Colorado or Wyoming!
IMG_9507 by you.

The afternoon wore on, the scenery changing slowly

IMG_9515 by you.
I don't know why, but I really like this picture!

The sun began setting...at this point, I had no idea what time zone we were in or what time it was at home...it didn't really matter though!

IMG_9535 by you.

IMG_9541 by you.

Somewhere around nightfall, we entered Utah- our tenth state at the end of two days on the road...

15 comments:

  1. Gee....those are great pics...especially those taken while driving......I'm impressed.
    :-)
    You are so lucky that the mechanic at the gas station was honest. He could have kept you there over night (giving the one motel some business as well) charging you some outrageous price for work never done.

    BTW....I spent this spring traveling out west to Colorado Springs with my daughter. She landed a job out there and I (and my check book) was along for the ride, helping her make the move. That is some drive. Did you see the giant windmill farms? They were creepy.

    Thanks for stopping by....hope your arm is all better and .....have a beautiful day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another set of awesome pictures! I absolutely love Colorado. It is one of my favorite states. Glad your car repair was a minor one and the the mechanic was honest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures will actually take your breath away! Gorgeous. My son lives in Denver so I've made a trip driving through CO too. So pretty!
    Sandra
    I LOVE your site. The colors make me feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pics! Glad you made it, scenic detour, pit stop and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pics! Glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I did not mean to post 3 comments saying the same thing, blogger is fighting with me! sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am obsessed with your photo of the side mirror - that is SO well done! All your pictures make me want to take an American road trip, you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures are fabulous. Nice job.
    I have to agree with you. I'd love to visit, but certainly don't think I'd want to live there.
    But I do want to travel to Colorado sooner than later! Beautiful state. It's been a long time since I was there.

    I need to catch up w/ all your posts. Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intentional or not, detours are always fun. You get to see a slice of that area, that probably not many see. Having been to Colorado and Wyoming - I probably would have stayed in Wyoming! Lol. I swear I'll live there some day. I fell in love with Jackson hole and the Tetons.

    Your pictures are beautiful -I love the train one! Glad your car wasn't on the injured list too long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing array of images! Those are completely breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous pictures. I've never been to the western part of the United States but would love to go someday! It looks amazing.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you're lucky you hit the right corner of Colorado. If you come in from the northeast you still end up in plains for hours before you finally hit the mountains and the city of Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you took some beautiful pics! I love the land out there and I love the way you are seeing it...with your brother and deciding as you go. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic pictures! Glad I found you through SITS. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)