Monday, October 12, 2009

Books for kiddos

I was planning to write a nice long post this evening but for some reason I decided to re-vamp the blog yet again. I get bored with blog layouts easily, apparently...and I think it's fun to recreate headers and mess with settings. I always feel bad for people who visit randomly during my adventures though...the blog must look awful!!

There's a certain flu (oink, oink) that hit one of the families at my school. So far, every one else in the school seems relatively okay (Jessa is out again for a week..well she's been out three days and will be out at least two more due to a sinus infection and strep) but I'm crossing my fingers for a slower week. Last week seriously almost brought me down for good. Thank goodness for slower weekends, let me say!

I've been reading to the kids a lot these days due to rain and cold fronts. I miss our warm summer weather and we're only a month into the school year! We're also working on some art projects and plan to pumpkin carve this fall (however, this has been put on hold until Jessa's return). I hope she'll get well soon as we have lots planned!

I thought I'd share some of the books we've been enjoying during circle time. For the most part, these books are ones I randomly pick up while browsing at the library. Before morning circle, I sift through my stack of books and choose 2-3 to be read throughout the day.

Slugs in Love- I believe this book was donated to our school recently. It's an adorable love story between, well, two slugs! My coworker A came in my room for something a few days ago, picked up the book and began laughing hysterically while turning the pages. In all honesty, this book is probably more enjoyed by adults-- my 9 year old sister would find it disgusting! ;)

Dinosaur, Dinosaur- a short, rhyming book that was perfect for a quick read at our lunch circle. Not anything extremely special, but lots of my boys love dinos!

Curious Garden-I really, really enjoyed this book and the discussions it led to with my students. It's about a little boy who builds a garden on an abandoned train track in the middle of a depressed, dark city. It held the attention of the kids (always a plus!) and I'll definitely check out other books by the author.



Milo's Hat Trick- a cute magic-trick book. Some of the kids were confused at the end, but I like the illustrations- probably why I picked it up in the first place! I thought it was a cute story...


Walter the Baker- Any Eric Carle book gets a thumbs up from me, but this is a good one! The kids really got a kick out of the pictures and we talked some about different types of art.

What are you (or the kids!) reading these days? I'm always up for suggestions!


6 comments:

  1. Happy SITS day. Sorry to hear about Jessa. These books look cute. I'll have to check them out for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm going to have to get that Slugs in Love book. Looks like a fun book to give A :0)

    My favorite recent kids books are

    "Who is Coming to Our House"
    (board book, Christmas)

    "The Mine-O-Saur"
    (GREAT for kids in the stage of not wanting to share)

    "Llama llama..."
    (all of them. Red pajama may be my favorite!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great book suggestions! Thanks. :)
    It seems to be the same here. My boys still love Caps for Sale (great read aloud), and they also are into If You Take a Mouse...
    Danny and the Dinosaur is another, as is The Saggy Baggy Elephant. Oh, and A Color of His Own.

    I'm glad this week is slower, and I LOVE the blog look. I am terrible w/ header stuff. I like yours, and I love these colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. Slugs in Love sounds funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those books all look cute!! I'll have to see if they are at the library for the kids I babysit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new look! I have trouble holding onto a layout for very long as well :-) It keeps the readers on their toes... haha!

    Those books all look adorable. I will have to keep them in mind for my son - always trying to expand his library!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)