Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I might possibly rock

About a month ago, when I returned from my cross-country venture my roommate informed me that the dryer was broken. It would turn on but not produce any heat.

With the start of the new school year, fixing the dryer wasn't high on my to-do list. I washed my clothes, thankful that the washer was working and hung my clothes to dry in the bathroom- not really a big deal in my book but once my roommate began huffing highly and carrying her laundry out the door, I thought it might be a good idea to fix once I had the money.

When my sisters, came for a visit, they brought along this handy dandy piece of machinery my dad owns. It's some kind of testing tool...I don't know. I had my dad on speaker phone while he walked me through the testing process.


Amazingly, I survived, certain pieces buzzed while others didn't, affirming my father's my suspicion that was, indeed the heating element  which was defective.


I put off ordering the piece for a good three weeks- partly because I didn't have the money, partly because I was scared to attempt to fix the piece, and partly because I'm just plain lazy.

However, this morning I walked into work and heard "You have a package!"

Whoops! I'd forgotten to inform my boss that a dryer piece would be arriving at her school (not that she minds at all, but she and most of the ladies at work who heard of my crazy scheme to fix a dryer thought I was absolutely nuts).

I drove as slowly as possible to avoid beginning this adventure. I rushed home from work, oh SO eager to fix this appliance.



Looks intimidating, eh? Let me tell you from experience, since I spent about 40 5 minutes trying to figure out how to remove said heating element: See those two screw-things on the bottom of the big green thing? THAT is what you need to take out. Don't try to remove screws from actual heating element because you'll just be wasting time. Ahem. Not like I have any idea why you'd try that anyway.

Anyway, after I figured out the RIGHT way to remove the piece, it was all relatively easy. The new piece slid in and...then I thought,

"Oh. I have to put the dryer back together. Crap."

I probably spent about 5x more time re-assembling the dryer as normal people would, but it is back together now. I put a wet towel in the dryer (after plugging it back in, duh) and it WORKED!!!!!!

Yes, I'm doing a little victory dance.

At least until the dryer starts sparking or something because I assembled it incorrectly...

13 comments:

  1. Wow good for you! I probably would have just cried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do rock! I would have been too intimidated to even mess with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You most definitely rock! I would have bought a new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAY TO GO!! You are a BIG GIRL!!!

    Yeah!!

    I now know who to call!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo! That is seriously cool! I think I would be too intimidated to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go, Bethany! Mom would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi There! Thank you for visiting me yesterday to celebrate my SITS Day! U are deeply appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it a great feeling! We just recently had problems with our washer, but it's still under warranty, which means free repair. But I've had to do some hefty repair stuff since buying our house and it's always a great sense of accomplishment when an uncertain job is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely...no question about it! You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You rock! I knew immediately what was wrong with your dryer since this had happened to us a few times. However, I never knew how to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOOHOO!! That's awesome!! Congrats! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. way to go! That is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You definitely rock! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)