Saturday, November 14, 2009

Keep Back!

Please check out the poll on the right hand side-- vote!! It's in relation to this earlier post of mine. Thank you!!



One of my students was wearing this shirt at the beginning of the school week and I couldn't help but take a picture, especially because the shirt is true for this particular child!

Little did I know it would also be appropriate for myself on Friday- which happened to be the 13th. Friday the 13th. I'm not really a superstitious person, in fact I don't consider myself superstitious at all.

However, I will say it was the worst day I've had in a long time. I'm not a fan of Fridays anymore to begin with, seeing as I fly solo for most of the beginning part of the day at work with Jessa out. My boss is to step in and help with lunch, but without typing a book, I'll just say she has a lot on her plate being the boss and all and, while she has the best intentions, she is never with me for ALL of lunch time, the most stressful part of my workday even on a good day.

So, cut to about 11:30 yesterday morning and you'll see me running around my classroom like a chicken with its head cut off. I had dismissed all the kids to find a seat in my lunchroom, but I had (spontaneously)

14 kids who were actually sitting, like they were supposed to (thank goodness for them!)
1 girl whining because she wanted to eat with her brother,
1 boy whining and crying because he wanted to eat with his sister. Sitting next to her just wasn't good enough for him,
4 boys waiting halfway patiently for me to direct them to a spot since we had more kids than usual (of COURSE!),
1 boy walking/running through the room with (kid) scissors because he is independent and wanted to open his yogurt RIGHT then,
1 boy spilling juice all over the floor/his shirt/pants/the table, and
2 kiddos waiting for the bathroom, which was already in use by another student, so they were fooling around...

so, as a teacher who usually has Patience...
it was "KEEP BACK 200 FEET!"
the patience was at about 5% and rapidly falling.
There was even more drama later in the lunch period, but I won't bore you with that.

That was my Friday the 13th drama. How about you?

*I do have to give props to my coworker Cara, though. She's the type of person who just helps out wherever she's needed, without being asked. She came in my room to drop off some papers right as all this was going on, and she stepped right in to help. I think even if she was a mean person who did that, I'd love her...of course, she's one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet which makes it easy to love her anyway. Cara also told me she'll be stepping in to help EVERY time Jessa's gone just to make sure I'm okay- as if she doesn't have a class of her own to manage already! I love my co-workers.*

7 comments:

  1. I could never be a teacher.
    I love the christy miller series! I can say i didnt marry a todd totally, but neither did my best friend who was obsessed with the series also. After going to a christian college. I realized a "todd" would annoy the dickens out of me. Did i just write dickens? Who am i?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fridays are bad for me too. Glad you had someone to step in and save your sanity! Good news, Friday is a long ways off now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, love the new blog look. It's so pleasing to the eye. Kudos.

    Sorry you had such a bad day. Friday was only so-so for me, too. Boys waking at 5, not getting a whole lot done, Brennan not staying asleep for a nap after the stroller ride, etc. I hear ya.

    I hope your Fridays at work calm down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. I am sorry it's so stressful being the only one there! I would be stressed out too :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Golly, that really does sound like one crazy day!! I'm glad you survived it. I'm always so impressed by teachers. I don't think I could handle a class full of students. I say this, of course, as I'm working on a PhD that just may toss me into a college classroom someday. But that would be different, right??

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all have days like that. Just take a breather.

    I've been having a lot of them lately. But I'm beyond stressed right now.

    Thanks for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you had some Friday the 13th drama, but I hope you've had a great, relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)