Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Take Me Back Tuesday Vol. II

I started "Take Me Back Tuesday" last week and people seemed to like it so I present week two! If you have any ideas for future weeks, let me know. I have a nice list going, but it will run out if I keep this up (which I hope to!)


photo from: http://mattogno.com/MattognoGirls/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/slinky2.jpg


 What else is there to say? Slinkies are an awesome invention and I have so many memories of watching them fly down flights of stairs both at my parents' house and at my grandmother's! I wish they could find a way to make them bounce back to their original shape after being twisted by small children, though!

--


Photo: http://luzyvidaministry.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/chalk2_list_view.jpg


Sidewalk chalk was a favorite of mine growing up, and the children at my school still enjoy it! We write our names, play tic-tac-toe, trace each other's bodies, draw pumpkins, airplanes, ducks, and about anything else you can imagine. One of my favorite memories is of a warm, sunny Christmas Day spent in Massachusetts. The weather was in the 60s or 70s, very unusual for that time of year in the Northeast and my aunts, uncles, siblings and I spent the holiday drawing all over my grandma's slanted driveway with all the colors of the rainbow! I couldn't have been more than 8 or 9.

Photo compliments of me, myself and I, from my time spent in Belize. Proof that sidewalk chalk usage doesn't all have to be in English! ;)




--

The Care Bears!!

Always friendly and ready to help, I have a soft spot in my heart for these cuties. We had (or my parents still have) the Care Bear Nutcracker movie. Growing up, I thought the theme of the Nutcracker was parallel with the Care Bears, something my dad would probably *still* cringe over if I told him!

--

I was homeschooled after fifth grade, but prior to that I went to a public school for a few months. As a member of a large family, I qualified for free school lunches and I absolutely LOVED it. After years of packing my lunch daily, it was like a dream come true, especially on square pizza days! I'm not sure I would enjoy it now, but it tasted great at age ten!

Photo: http://open.salon.com/blog/rwnutjob/2009/04/22/school_pizzayumyum

--

This one is bound to drive one of my blog readers crazy if she pays close attention! Before Lyn lef this summer, she and I went kayaking and when leaving the park, we came across tire swings! I spent hours upon hours swinging on one in my rural yard growing up and getting a chance to swing again was SO MUCH FUN!


However, this photo has been doctored, and no one knows how or why, although one of my friends had a silly guess this summer...if you can figure it out, I'll send you a homemade candle. Seriously! I'm a candlemaker, didn't you know?



Feel free to join in with your own childhood memories!!

3 comments:

  1. Bethany, I *still* feel that way about sidewalk chalk! If I could make a living doing that, I would. :-)

    Okay, my childhood memories... Rainbow Brite, Lite Brites, Pound Puppies, the Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake (and none of this modernized girl, I'm talking original Shortcake!)... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

    Hope your week is going well so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that my dad would have let us color with sidewalk chalk when we were kids. We would do it when he wasn't home and my mom would wash it off right after...hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you sharing these. They brought a smile to my face and a laugh. Loved that pizza!

    Can't wait to see your "I'm Thankful for. . ." post!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)