Monday, December 21, 2009

550

Originally this post was going to be about simple things, but I guess I'll save that for tomorrow since I can't seem to focus on anything...

Anyway. 550.

It's the approximate number of hours I've spent babysitting in 2009. There are a few babysitting jobs that I apparently didn't record- or recorded somewhere else (like my old planner, which I couldn't find when I was adding up all this stuff. LOL.)

Because I love statistics...I cared for 9 families in '09- 17 children between the ages of newborn to 12. 8 girls and 9 boys.

I've given baths, successfully put all or most of these kids to bed, played red light green light, freeze tag, and Simon Says in a hotel room, rescued a little boy from a hotel bed fall, watched countless episodes of Dora, The Backyardigans, Go Diego Go, and Baby Einstein... I've encountered bee stings, growling dogs, kids vomiting, first steps, tears galore, and toddler hugs so tight I couldn't breathe. I've rocked little ones to sleep, played the Wii with the older kids, eaten food from gummy baby hands, become slightly addicted to said baby food, played tea party and Play-Doh, walked kids to the bus stop, fed them snacks and watched older siblings comfort younger ones. I've been involved in water balloon fights, pillow fights, and dart gun fights.

It all comes down to moments like these that make it worth it.


Moments like this? It's why I choose to spend a lot of my free time with kids. Moments like this are priceless.



6 comments:

  1. Aww... I am a mommy and nanny. I love kiddos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, those pictures are adorable. It sort-of takes your breath away, huh? Kids have that effect, somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes! So sweet. Those kids are lucky to have you.

    That is A LOT of hours, girl! Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, and I love that you logged it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet that you've kept track of the hours and the happy memories! The families who have been blessed with having you as a babysitter for their children are very lucky to have someone who loves children as much as you do, obviously.

    One of my 2-yr olds was looking at your blog and he kept saying, "nice popcorns". I had no clue what he was talking about until I noticed he was looking at the acorns in your sidebar!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What sweeties!

    Hope the moments of reflection this year are more sweet than sad. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)