Tuesday, January 26, 2010

All In A Day's Work


http://ab061.k12.sd.us/specialed/images/teacher_clipart_17.gif

I never know what to expect when I arrive at my work- with classrooms full of preschoolers and kindergartners, there's always a child attached to my side within two seconds of walking in the door, someone who needs a new bandaid or can't find their coat/lunchbox, etc.


Today, before a child could find me, my boss pulled me aside with some great news- the realization of last week's assumptions- Jessa will now only be working with me two days a week, and Cara (my co-teacher from last year) will be replacing her the other three!! I am absolutely thrilled and can't wait to finally catch up with Cara, since I've only seen her in passing since May. The two of them job-sharing will be a new adventure, I'm sure-- I've never had two co-teachers alternating in and out of the classroom! It will have its challenges, this I'm positive of- after all, instead of having two people give their input on cleaning practices, books to read, crafts to do with the kids...we'll have three!

~

In other (related) news, here is the story of the treasure hunt I was sent on last Thursday. If you're my Facebook friend or follow me on Twitter, you might have heard about it a little bit!

I have a running game with my co-worker Cara (ugh, now that "my" Cara will be working with me again, this is going to get confusing!). Anyway, Cara and I like the same ice cream place in central PA, so last summer I brought her some ice cream, then she brought me some. The next time I gave her some, I played a little game with her and made her figure out a puzzle before she could have the ice cream. Right before Christmas, I gave her another half gallon of the prized dessert, but first I sent her a card "from" the ice cream place, hand delivered by one of our students. The student actually told Cara it was a note from her mom, so she unknowingly made the joke that much funnier! Although, then Cara accused me of using the students for my dirty work, hehe!!

Anyyyway, so last Thursday I got some mail at work- very odd in and of itself, since I never get mail there! It was addressed to me, at school and inside was a nice little note...






(A treasure hunt just for you, search and find something Red, White, and Blue. But first, you must figure out the clues! Sharpening pencils is just the start, find one with a work of art)

Well, when I opened the envelope and read it, I knew it was either from Cara or my friend/co-worker Hope but figured ice cream was the ending, thus pegging it on Cara. I was excited to get started on the quest, but we had like 25 kids in my classroom at the time I had to wait over an hour to begin. Cara didn't know we had so many kids, so she scooted out of work extra early, afraid that I was going to come running after her...haha. She told me today (when we finally got to discuss the hunt) that she kept expecting me to call her as soon as I got the envelope, but we were so busy...


Around 5:15pm, our room finally cleared out a bunch and I set off to check all the pencil sharpeners in the school. Of course, it was the last one I looked at, but I did find the next clue!


(Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, be sure to find a print like this before the dog gets any colder)


Okay, so this one took me FOREVER! The first thing I looked at was all the mirrors in the school, thinking the picture of the dog was taped on them or something. Nope.

Then I just wandered around, hoping to see the little dog...anywhere...no.

Eventually, Jessa said, hey maybe it's something with the "gets any colder" part and I set off to the fridge and freezer. Found the ice cream (whoops! haha!) but no dog. Eventually (umm, like after an HOUR!), my boss explained to me that these dogs are from an artist William Wegman and that we have a few of his prints around the school. I found one in Cara & Hope's classroom, but no note. Turns out they have TWO so after taking the first print off the wall a few times and not finding the next clue, I finally turned around and spotted another print and clue next to the fish tank!

After that, the scavenger hunt was over within a minute or two. I didn't want to leave with the ice cream and keep the clues at school, because I knew Cara would find out, so I knew I had to finish...


(Dogs and cats and crabs and mice, wouldn't the answer be so nice?)

One of the classrooms has crabs and mice, so I headed there as soon as I read this one. The next clue was taped to the crab tank-


(You're getting closer now. Try another room, in a place where snack is cleaned up with a broom)


The only classroom I hadn't been to has a fun broom holder on the wall, so I knew just where to look-


(Sorry, this one is hard to read because of the tape. It says "Speaking of snacks, are your taste buds ringling? Well they might be, after defrosting the ringling!" LOL)

And then on the ice cream was this one

(One last note, I make no promise! This ice cream was definitely compromise-d! It may be great, horrible or awful!)

Ahh..ice cream!





After hearing my tale of the treasure hunt today, Cara just laughed and said, "Ohhh I got you goooood!!!!!" Uh yea, you did, Cara...but I'll think of something bigger and better for you next time. Any ideas? ;)


5 comments:

  1. How fun! I need to try this ice cream and see what all the hype is about. :)

    SO GLAD about your co-teacher! FINALLY!! I hope the transition goes well and you enjoy work like you used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are going to be worked out for you all at work! Cara sounds like a wonderful person to work with! And how fun, to go on a treasure hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun! i haven't gone on a treasure hunt in years, but i did play hide and seek with the little ones and my husband last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun!! I love treasure hunts.

    Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's super fun! I love ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)