Friday, February 19, 2010

Celebrating the Chinese New Year

My school is full of cultural diversity- we have a fair mix of children who descend from India, China, and Taiwan. One of my Taiwanese children is an especially interactive child and is always attempting to teach me how to say things in Chinese. I’m not fluent in anything besides English but he does a great job!
Anyway, said child brought in a few books about the Chinese New Year, prompting Cara and I to do a unit on the celebration, which began on February 14th.
The first book Adam brought in was a simple story about the holiday- we whipped through it in one circle time.
This is the second book Adam shared with us;  it had pages dedicated to the different animals of the New Year (2010 is the Year of the Tiger), the food they prepare, celebrations, etc. We’ve read parts as a class but the book is available to the kids if they want to look through it.
In addition, we made Chinese lanterns (this isn’t one that we made but it’s the same idea, I forgot to take a picture!)
and created a “Happy Chinese New Year” wall complete with signs in Chinese and good luck envelopes for all the kiddos.
IMG_4907
Img_4910
IMG_4911 - CopyIMG_4911IMG_4912

The last Chinese New Year related craft we attempted is tangrams. I got the idea from this website and the kids are LOVING it. It’s a puzzle but in the end becomes an animal or object they can identify- something they find fun! I think we’ll keep this work on the shelves for a long time to come. :-)
     IMG_4914 IMG_4915 IMG_4916
So, that’s how we celebrated Chinese New Year this week- in only three school days, too!

10 comments:

  1. What a great week you guys had! Happy Chinese New Year. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kung Hai Fat Choi. Following from Friday Follower, hope you can come by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany! I just found your site through Follow Friday! I also notice that you and I are both on Sits! This post is interesting to me for a couple of reasons! My 20-year-old daughter's best friend has been in Taiwan for the last month, and one of my blog followers lives in Singapore and was talking about Chinese New Year and preparations. Your post was very interesting! Love the things you did with your kids! If it weren't so late right now, I would look more closely now, but I'll be back.
    I'm going to go to follow you now:)
    Blessings,
    Wendy/Mrs. G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the things you did with the kids for CNY. You're a wonderful teacher. LOL, there 8 days of CNY left!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WONDERFUL! I love that you took the time to share in this holiday with your students. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. Stopping by from the Friday follow (a little late)!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun, I wish I knew more about things like that. I guess I could google it. Whatever did we do before google?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brother speaks mandarin chinese. He served a mission for our church in Tiawan and taught english in China for 4 months.
    Pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like so much fun! I love the lantern, too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)