Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Meetup

On one of my previous posts, a Blogger friend, Kelsalynn suggested I join a Meetup.com group.

For those of you who don’t know what Meetup is, it’s basically a networking site designed for people who have common interests. There are groups for people who go running, golfers, single moms, senior citizens, dog lovers, knitting, and pretty much anything you can think of (except candle makers, I looked!). It’s all local, so it’s perfect for people who have just moved to a new city or people like me who have been abandoned by all of their friends for bigger and better things.

Here’s a confession- I’ve actually been a member of meetup for months. However, I have not been an active member, at all. After getting some insight this weekend I went on a rampage and joined a million few  new groups. I am now a proud member of the following:

- Early Childhood Educators
- Travel Enthusiasts
- Volleyball & Bowling Lovers (Bowling, not volleyball)
- New in Town (I’m not, but feels like it sometimes!)
- Singles Networking
- City Bible Discussion
- Local Community Service
- Meet 2 Eat
- Movie Fans
- Food Lovers
- Tea Tasters
- Urban Excursions

I signed up (RSVP’ed) to go to two meet-ups in the beginning of the week, since the end of my week will be filled with family visiting and babysitting.

And then last night, I went to the first one. The event I attended was a Bible study and all of the people there actually attend the same church on Sundays, a non-denominational church nearby. There were about 20 adults there, plus 5 children who belonged to three couples attending.

It was a very low-key event- one family brought the food, another watched the kids during the study. I was there from about 6:30-9:00 and the study itself was probably only a half hour or 45 minutes. I definitely don’t remember everyone’s names, but they were all very nice and the best part was that I talked with most of the girls afterwards.

One of the girls began asking what I like to do, and as soon as I mentioned bowling she jumped on it- “When can we go- tomorrow?” That was funny but I was supposed to go to a piano bar tonight with another meetup group so all of the girls (3 + me) were going to go too! I’m bummed that it got cancelled due to the weather but we are going to do something together next week!

I was so glad it went well, I’ll keep you updated but maybe I’ve finally met some new friends!

9 comments:

  1. YAY! I already told you this in the email, but I'm truly happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice! It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if they have a group for slightly over weight, bald, middle aged, cartooning, blogging guys that like to leave strange comments on other people's blogs? Any chance of that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to take the bull by the horns! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! I'm glad it went so well for you! I hope you get to go bowling, I haven't been in so long. Can't wait to hear about the next event!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome site! And I'll definitely look into it once I move (which will probably within the next 3 months) only problem is, Im a little shy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea. When we moved to Idaho I had to make all new friends, so I joined the newcomer's group for our city and from there it snowballed. I wasn't a very social person until I started going out to meet strangers.

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)