Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Breathe

Well.

I told my boss today that I won’t be back to teach next year. It was a decision that took a lot of time to come to, and I’m sad but think it was the right thing to do. I am SO relieved that telling my boss is done, I haven’t been eating/sleeping well all week and knew I’d feel better once I was just done.

I don’t think it’s really hit me yet though. I’ve been there for three years and some of my best friends work there with me. I’ve made wonderful friends and met amazing families who I will definitely miss, but with the whole situation with Jessa this year, and how it was handled…I wasn’t willing to deal with it another whole year.

Sadly, my boss’ reaction to my news was a curt, “Well you don’t need a reference, do you?” Sigh. It’s really a situation that I wouldn’t wish on anyone, but my boss needs prayers, because there’s got to be something else going on in her mind. The woman who hired me almost three years ago would not speak to me like that normally, at all.

But it still hurt.

And though I know in my heart (and through reading my journal entries and talking to my coworkers) that I am good at my job, how can I not think of her response as against me?

And now…to figure out what comes next in life. Anyone want a nanny? LOL.

6 comments:

  1. Her response to you is showing her own lack of experience and inadequacy. Don't let her rudeness take away from the good teacher that you (and others)know you are.

    If you can, try to get a couple of parent's to write a reference for you. When I taught many years ago, I had a couple of parent's that did that for me. I also did this for a couple of my son's preschool teachers when he was in preschool.

    And you asked what comes next for you? Something better. Definitely, something better!

    Remember... change is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Bethany. You deserve sooo much better. Change is hard but you are in control of this and that's important. I know it doesn't really matter, but I'm incredibly proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is obviously something going on with your ex-boss. What an unprofessional and inappropriate response. I think this just makes it even clearer that you made the right decision to leave this job and toxic environment. Hang in there. It's almost over. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. That reply from your ex-boss was just rude. Don't let it get to you - it's almost over and you will find something better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are leaving such an unsupportive environment! Eeeks, it will be rough, but I know that you can make it work!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)