Monday, September 13, 2010

The Job Hunt

**This is a scheduled post because I have flown far, far away for a little break. Although for some of you, I'm actually closer than normal, but that's irrelevant. If for some reason the post looks weird, blame it on the strange internet cloud in the sky that still knows to post when I'm gone.**

Image from here
I completely understand now why professionals giving advice on job hunting suggest keeping to a schedule while out of work.
Yep, I get it now!
I’ve been babysitting every night this week, so I haven’t gotten home and in bed until midnight, at the earliest. I find that if I get up around 8, go for an early morning bike ride (even though it’s definitely cooler nowadays than in the summer, it’s still a nice ride!) and then buckle down to job search, I am more focused and am more “into it” (if that is possible). I can hunt for new jobs, call people, leave a million messages, return emails and phone calls, and sometimes still have the afternoons free to clean (ahem, I cleaned the inside of our fridge the other day. I found bacon that expired in March of 2008. Don’t blame me, I didn’t even move in here until this past May!). 
This morning though, I discovered what I really dislike about job hunting. After posting my job on Craigslist, returning three emails, leaving three voicemails, writing four more emails, applying to three jobs from monster and then going through an online application test that took 45 minutes, I was so done with all the repetitiveness of it all. It was the same questions on all the applications over and over and eventually just got tiring!
So, while I get that it’s good to get up and going in the morning so job seekers don’t sit in bed literally all day (because we could..) I definitely can’t do it for 8 hours a day. No. Flippin. Way. Any job searching tips for me? I really wish there was just a huge universal job seeking/application filling program for us to use!
 
Image from here

6 comments:

  1. Did you ever look into a temp agency? I believe that one resume would be forwarded from them to potential employers, then YOU wouldn't have to go through the repetitiveness. Just a thought.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya. I've found that word of mouth has been the best way that I've gotten jobs. I'm searching again but just by word of mouth and someone has put me in touch with a decent lead. Fingers crossed for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest what the first comment did: maybe look into a temp agency?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first commenters suggesting of a temp agency is a great idea!!

    The other thing I was thinking of was maybe a tutoring job. With your teaching background, you'd probably be wonderful at it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Job hunting is some of the worst crap ever. Not worse than Mario Lopez, but pretty close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't do it. This is why I've worked freelance forever. Having your job be looking for a job is very hard.

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)