Monday, October 18, 2010

Edwar

I swear I have written about Edwar before but I'm having trouble finding the post on my phone. If I find it later I will link up!


Edwar is a worker at the grocery store I went to ALL the time when I lived in my last apartment. The store was within walking distance and whenever I needed something quickly I would stop in.

Most of the time, I would run into Edwar, the door greeter, because I'd be there at night and so would he. During last school year Edwar was a bright spot in my day, a cheerful 80-something Italian short man. He would always recognize me, ask how I was doing, wish me a happy day...

Ever since I moved in May, I don't shop at Edwar's store very often. There are at least two or three stores that are closer to my new residence but I did see Edwar once this summer, in July or August. I explained to him that I had moved and been traveling but promised to come once in a while to say hello.

Last night after my babysitting gig, I needed to stop at a store and grab milk and other necessities for the week. Since it was evening, I drivers to take a chance and see if maybe Edwar was at work. I walked in the door and was disappointed to see another worker...friendly, yes, but not Edwar!

Oh well, I said to myself, and continued on. Halfway through my shopping though, I happened upon a worker in a battery operated grocery cart, a bit slumped over who looked up and said, "hello!"... At first I just said hello back but then looked closer and saw a familiar sparkle in one eye- it was Edwar! He was moving away from me but I realized that half of his face, and body, seemed sagging and slumped over :(. He must have had a stroke since the last time I saw him.

I thought about him all last night. I told my roommate about him...he was my first thought this morning. I just feel so bad! Not that there is anything I can do, but I want to go back again now and (try to) talk to him more, make sure he is okay. He looked like he'd aged 10 years in a few months and it just makes me so sad...keep him in your prayers- it's not like I really know him, but I do- he's my happy grocery guy!
BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

1 comment:

  1. aww! i'm sure you were a bright spot in his day too :-) i hope he's doing okay! i think it's really sweet of you to go see him!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)