Tuesday, November 02, 2010

October Budget Overview


Last month was the first month I had done a written budget in a long time. Summer was crazy with all of my traveling and work was sporadic and budgeting fell to the wayside until I started my new job and got a (partial, but still) paycheck.

I feel proud of myself for paying off so much in 2010. If I look back to where I was in January I have come far, financially anyway. I still have no idea where my life is headed except that it doesn't seem to be going the way I thought it would.

So anyway, back to the budget. I used cash only for groceries, eating out and entertainment. I used my debit card for gas but knew (roughly) how much I would be spending. Using cash for most things worked out very well up until the end of the month, when I had a surprise visitor and we went out to eat...so while not perfect, the month went well money wise.

I was also able to pay off $600 in debt, although it's not updated on the sidebar here yet. When I actually sit down at my computer I will do that.

So, some changes for my (complete!) November budget:

- more money toward gas, since I am going to my parents and then continuing Eastward on Thanksgiving weekend. I will be gone from Wed evening- Sunday and traveling about 800 miles.

- my food money will all be in one envelope, be it for groceries or eating out. The same goes for my entertainment/blow money. The less envelopes the better for me!

- I have a little money set aside for Christmas and will be adding to that.

- my car needs to have some work done at some point, but the work is over $1100. Being that my car is about 11 years old and nearing 190K, I have started a car fund. I've never had a car payment and if possible, would like to keep it that way.

- I eventually need to buy a dress for a wedding I am in in June. This will probably happen over Nov/Dec depending on how much babysitting I do.

- I've added a "nanny fund" for times when I'm out with the kids and stop at the mall or Panera, my current obsession. There won't be much in it but just a little for special times.

That's all I can think of now. How are your November budgets looking? I will hopefully have some time to catch up on blogs soon, over the next 12 days I am only working 5!! (boss is heading out of town) :)



Posted via BlogBooster, blame that if anything looks wonky! BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

3 comments:

  1. Nice work! You should be very proud of your financial self for 2010. :)
    Our October budget was rough, but this month is much better. We still need to sort out fund to replenish the emergency fund, but life keeps happening. ;) We need to get back to saving for a car, too. Let's work together-we can encourage each other to buy a car without gaining a monthly payment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Getting debt paid off is *hard*. I've decided I HAVE to limit my spending in order to be able to make more productive payments on my student loan. So if I can't justify it, I'm not spending it. I'm only been about 70% successful in the past couple of weeks, but I'm getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Bethany! I'm proud of you too! $600 is a huge dent!

    Keep working on your car fund. You can buy a few thousand dollar car in no time I bet then start on your debt again. NO CAR PAYMENT! You're too smart for that!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)