Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Frogs, Frogs, Frogs!!

When I visited Cincinnati a year or so ago, I came across squirrels- real ones, yes, but also fake, painted ones like the one below spread across a small town.

n144901829_31225607_5927911
(in Glendale, Ohio. This one is outside an eye doctor’s office)

This past weekend I had an awesome girls’ weekend in Erie, PA. As my old college roomie Jess and I were beginning to explore while waiting for her sister Ali to finish school for the day, we came across something a little odd.

Frogs!

Over the next few days, between girl talk and movies and eating and the beach, we discovered frog after frog after frog. Now, Erie is not big, and supposedly there are/were 102 of these frogs in 2004. I found a blog online that documented a lot of the frogs’ locations, so we mapped them out the best we could. A few others we just found randomly. We’d be driving down a road on our way to another location, and one of us would yell, “Hey! There’s a frog!!”

Alas, I bring you…the Erie frogs!

IMG_6047IMG_6065

IMG_6067IMG_6068

IMG_6085IMG_6088

IMG_6101IMG_6102

IMG_6114IMG_6128

IMG_6150IMG_6152

IMG_6227

IMG_6232IMG_6236

IMG_6241

IMG_6320

IMG_6321IMG_6322

 

So, which one is your favorite? Have you ever been to a town that has a theme like this?

4 comments:

  1. I've seen a few of these where artists paint the figures and then they are auctioned off for a charity. My hometown did bulldogs, their HS mascot. Others I've seen - pigs and bears. :) it's a really neat way to display local art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just weird. LOL

    I like the peacock one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nashville had catfish for awhile. why? i have NO idea. now we have guitars. much more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so fun. I've seen cow statues before, but the frogs are cuter.

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)