Thursday, March 10, 2011

World As My Oyster

I’m not on the hunt for a new job, at least, not yet?

I’ve been going through a rough couple of weeks. I don’t know HOW to decide if I want to nanny for the rest of my life. I’m worn out taking care of other people’s kids in a daily way. Teaching was different, but I’m tired. I’m tired of having to make sure the house is clean by 5 pm, of telling parents that we’re going to the mall/library/etc. and then later, oh we’re back. If I have to take care of children, I’m to a point where I’d like them to be my own. Or not care for children at all. In fact, I’m at a place where I’m not even sure I WANT my own kids…and that’s never been the case before.

So, where does this leave me? It’s not that I don’t love kids. I adore taking care of Bug and seeing some of my old students for random babysitting gigs.

I just don’t know anymore. I’ve been asking around to see what other jobs people could see me having. Among the suggestions:

- flight attendant
- travel blogger/writer (love this, not sure how in the world that would work)
- travel agent
- cruise ship childcare (I love this idea as well, but I’m fairly certain it would mean a move to Florida and I don’t think I want to leave Big City!)
- children’s librarian
- tour director

I’m sure a lot of this stems from changes going on with my friends, as well. A good friend will possibly be moving away again. She moved before, came back, and if she moves I won’t blame her at all. Sometimes I feel like moving to a new city would be good, because it would give me a chance to start over, to leave the school completely behind. I’m holding on to a false hope that I’ll be called and welcomed back to the school next year, and I need to let it go.

Oh, the grieving process…not so fun. And who knew it could last so long just from a job!?

5 comments:

  1. I think you should stay a nanny, but come and take care of my future baby :) Don't you miss MA??

    I get so anxious whenever I think about leaving my baby with someone all day. In the past, I've had family members who could do it, but that may not be a possibility for this little one. Those kids are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should aim for one of the travel jobs, but heck NO to the childcare on a cruise ship thing. Bratty kids, vacation-mode people..I think it'd get old really fast.
    I really think the flight attendant thing would be a great fit for you. Plus then you'd earn free flights for the traveling you enjoy, right?
    Is that something that even interests you?

    I always thought it'd be a lot of fun to be a children's librarian. Our librarian ROCKS and does the BEST story time. I could see you doing that well & enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think being a nanny would get old fairly fast. I think we are in need of good children's librarians but I'm not sure what education you need for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are young, and healthy and single. You are talented and full of ambition.

    Take your chance now while you have it. Later on, you may not ever have a chance like this.

    Don'tget burnt out on other people's kids. To me, that seems so sad! You will have plenty of time for that with your OWN children. I say GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went through my own, very long, phase of not ever wanting my own children. It was scary. I'm here to tell you that you do get beyond that, well, I did at least. I assume others do as well. It took a longgggg time though.

    There's no hurry, though. Do what makes you happy!!! If I weren't nannying, I'd be teaching, but if I weren't teaching I'd likely try something in the travel industry!!!

    Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)