Monday, May 09, 2011

My Worst Mother's Day

Contrary to the belief of my Twitter friends, many of whom wished me a Happy Mother's Day yesterday, I am not (yet?) a mom. I'm definitely a pseudo-mom, taking care of kiddos until I drop Smile 

So, while I don’t actually celebrate the holiday for myself, I do have a slightly funny story to tell.

When I was young, probably 9-12 or so, I had the brightest idea. Mother’s Day was coming up and I thought it would be a nice surprise to order flowers for my mom in appreciation of all she did for us.

Looking back, I’m not sure why I didn’t just ask my dad to pick up some flowers from a local shop, but I digress.

So, I called around to price different bouquets and delivery services. After my research, I gave up. I have no idea how much money I’d planned to spend but whatever they quoted was clearly too much.

Imagine my surprise when come Mother’s Day morning, a flower delivery truck drove up the street and parked in front of my childhood home. One of my siblings noticed first and, knowing my flower debacle, questioned if I had, maybe accidentally, ordered flowers…

I’m pretty sure if you had taken a picture of my face at that moment, it could easily be used for blackmail today. I think I started hyperventilating and protesting that I didn’t, I was sure, at least I didn’t think so….???? EEEK!!

Thankfully, while the flowers were for my mom, I had not accidentally ordered them. They’d come from my grandpa. Wheww….

But yea, I’ll remember that story for years to come. If my mom is reading, she probably remembers. I wonder if her version of the story would be different? Smile

 

Oh, and Happy Belated Mother’s Day to all you moms out there!

4 comments:

  1. You and Stacy do the work of mom's and should be wished a happy Mother's day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack!!! I think I would've panicked too!!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)