Tuesday, November 01, 2011

NaBloPoMo!

I will never forget my very first college class.

It was Freshman English, and unlike most of the students I was a homeschooled sixteen year old, beginning my “college” career early, earning both college and high school credits simultaneously. I do not remember the first day of class, but rather the first few weeks in general. Our first assignment was to write a how-to post on making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It was an easy assignment (for me) but a great number of my classmates struggled. It was through this assignment that my college professor discovered many of my classmates could not write a sentence, nor could they identify nouns, verbs…the list went on, it was appalling, and the class almost became a grade-school level introduction to grammar.

As the weeks moved on through the semester, our assignments became slightly more complex. I don’t remember struggling with them, although my mom may have a slightly different take on it. I do remember sitting in class multiple times, proofreading my classmates’ papers and checking for spelling errors, grammatical errors, full paragraphs…anything that caught my eye. After many days of this, one of the girls in class asked if I was an English major. I laughed and told her no, that I was in fact a high schooler who did not enjoy writing at all. The look on her face was one of pure shock.

However…ten years has gone by and in some way I really enjoy writing here, so I’m taking a leap of nutty faith and joining up with NaBloPoMo. This means that I will (hopefully!) be posting every day, with the help of Windows Live Writer and scheduled posts. Hey, as long as I write 30 posts and one gets published each day, that counts, right? I have a list already going of ideas to post, and we’ll see how many of them make it. Smile

So, Happy November! This should be an interesting month…haha!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you could come teach my kids. My goal is to make them proficient writers and grammarians.

    As long as you publish once a day, your golden. It's a lot of fun and I am going to enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)