Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Nannying, According to Derek Ozzy, Age 4


When I was a young girl, one of my favorite books was this one.
I would read the book over and over, though ironically I was not drawn to being a vet or a pilot at any time.

On the way to the zoo last week, the little boy I watched asked me out of the blue, “What did you want to be when you grew up when you were a kid?”
“A teacher and a mom,” I replied.
“Okay, well you’ve already been a teacher…so then…why are you a NANNY?!” he questioned.
I laughed and then told him that as a child, I had no idea what a nanny was. I didn’t know anyone with a nanny (as I remember it most of my friends moms were, like mine, SAHMs...a few worked part time).
The conversation moved on and Derek began listing for me his idea of what a nanny should be required to do. It’s cute!

-- take the kids fun places
-- make sure they don’t play in the front yard
-- wait for the click in the car seat before driving
-- make sure everyone has helmets before getting on a bike
-- go to the park
-- make food
-- have lots of band-aids
-- play games
-- go to storytime
While I am positive these are not exactly the requirements his mom had when hiring me, some of them are spot on! Smile

What did you want to be when you grew up?

1 comment:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)