Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pen Pals



When I was 8, I was matched up to write a thank you letter for my school to a nice couple living in Pennsylvania. I believe they had contributed money towards something- maybe our diocese at the time? It was a privilege to be chosen to write the thank yous, as only children in my school with readable writing were able to participate.

After sending my thank you, I received a letter back from the couple.

I sent one back.

And so it began! Over the years I was excited to get mail from Leland and Mary Ann. I heard about their children, and they saw my journey switch from attending Catholic school to public school to homeschooling and later college. While they told tales of winters in Florida, I longed to travel, and eventually did. I sent them a postcard from Europe while studying there, and they sent me one from Key West, a place that still remains on my "to see bucket list".

When my twin cousins were born in Rhode Island in late 1997, my sister and I went to "help" for two weeks. While there, a package came from Leland & Mary Ann for me- a Christmas gift box full of card games, a tamagotchi (remember those!?), candy and other goodies.

Over the years, our correspondence has become more spotty- mainly birthday and Christmas cards. They grew older and frailer, and I moved, changed jobs and addresses probably too much for them to keep up! Either last Christmas or the year before, I remember a Christmas card from them, saying that Leland had had a stroke but was doing okay.

 This year as I was writing Christmas cards, I saw their address and sent a card off- honestly not knowing if they were still alive or living in their former home. Less than a week later, I got a card back! They are both doing well, still trucking along. It was my favorite Christmas card to receive, hands down.

Although I have countless cards and letters from the couple, I've never met Leland and Mary Ann in person. It's likely I never will, at least in this world-- but it's amazing to have been a part of this long-distance connection for almost 20 years!

Do you have any long-term penpals? I'd love to hear your story!

3 comments:

  1. That's actually a really sweet story! I remember having a pen pal (my age) that I found in the back of some science magazine that I was subscribed to in junior high (yup, I was a nerd LOL). It's so much fun to get letters in the mail....even today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so neat!! i had a couple pen pals growing up, but none that lasted too long. cool beans girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a pen pal in sixth grade through high school. We lost touch just because we grew up. I still think about her once in a while and it's been over 25 years!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)