Monday, February 06, 2012

In The News: My Thoughts

There have been a couple of news stories lately that have caught my eye. I do enjoy reading the local news here and in that of my parents’ hometown, although not every day.

This story on the possibility of banning smoking while children are in the car is one I would have skipped reading until a few days ago. I was at a stoplight on the way home from work one day this week when I looked over. Right next to me was a woman smoking. Her window was cracked maybe ¼ of an inch. I could see smoke tendrils unraveling through the car. Just the thought of being in that car with her made me gag, as I have had friends who smoke in their cars and I find myself almost gagging while in their cars (even if they aren’t smoking at the time!). Sitting in the backseat of the car I saw was a little girl, maybe two years old. I immediately felt badly for her—after all, as the article says, she has no say in it, and yet she is clearly breathing in smoke. As I continued my drive I thought (in my non-nicotine-addicted mind), “there is a park RIGHT HERE, less than half a mile from the intersection. Couldn’t she at least stop there, step outside of her car to smoke??”


Photo from here

The second story that made me wince was this one dealing with people who jaywalk repeatedly. When I drive to work, it is still pitch dark. Almost every morning, there are multiple people walking across random spots in the road. There ARE crosswalks, they are not using them. On multiple occasions I have come close to hitting people because they are walking right in front of traffic. It’s like they do not look before they cross the road! It’s so dangerous.

Do you follow the news? Do some news stories scare you like they do me? Sometimes I wonder about this world…

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD - I want to punch people that smoke in the car with anyone, especially a child, in the face. I mean come on - are they gonna die without smoking for one single car ride. It's disgusting and that mom should be ASHAMED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thinking. With so many easy places to stop, there is no reason to chain a child in a car with smoke! :( so sad.

      Delete
  2. It is unbelievable how unobservant people can be sometimes. From jaywalking to careless driving, it is dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. I almost hit another person yesterday- it was dark AND snowing..sigh.

      Delete
  3. I grew up around so much second hand smoke. Grandparents smoking in the car and house. I think this is a good law. They all died of lung disease and I hope I don't get lung issues either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad. I hope you stay healthy too! I have some extended family members that smoke but I guess they mostly do it outdoors. I don't remember their homes smelling terribly of smoke.

      Delete
  4. That is such a pet peeve of mine! I can't stand seeing people smoke in their car when they have children with them. My mom and stepdad smoke and I refuse to let my kids go in their car because it just reeks of smoke. And my MIL's house...OMG....the smoke smell is in the carpets, the walls, you can't escape it. I can't stand when we have to go over there because we all smell like chain smokers when we leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. The smell totally clings to clothing. I'm actually surprised there isn't a law against smoking with kids in the car. You'd think by now...

      Delete
  5. I've been in my car at a stop light with my windows up and smelled the smoke from someone smoking the next car over. I know it's a radical idea, but I wish they'd ban smoking in any publically-owned space, including roads, parks, etc. As someone with "weak lungs" I'm amazed at how many places I still can't avoid being around smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm I remember someone jaywalking. Maybe they just didn't see anyone either. Oh can't stand people who smoke around kids!

    ReplyDelete

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)