Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Serenity

IMG_2832

I had a particularly crazy day at work earlier this week. As soon as I walked in, it was clear this wasn’t going to a normal, easy-flow day. Derek was protesting his return to school after a four day skiing trip with Laney and his dad. Their dad was off work due to upcoming surgery. Derek showed up at the breakfast table not only with his stubbornness but a possible broken nose (lovely & bruised) from a fall on his trip. Tobin seemed to have turned on the two-year-old tantrum faucet overnight and since he doesn’t talk, his grunts filled the house.

The day progressed—Derek went to school despite his plans otherwise. Tobin and I went to our normal storytime at the library and had a fantastic time (ahem, cue 2 year old tantrums again…)

After lunchtime, Tobin and I played for a while and headed upstairs to read books. While I put him down for a nap, Derek fell asleep on a chair in the living room while relaxing with his dad. I sighed with relief and went to grab my lunch.

Cue disaster.

Immediately, as soon as I sat down, the dog began to ferociously bark, workers outside looked scared of said dog, the basement door was pounded off its hinges, two phones rang, Derek woke up and began to protest again (this time about his doctor appointment to check on his nose), the workers asked that the van be moved from the driveway, two large trucks full of drywall bound for the basement were blocking the road…

It was a crazy day.

So, after work, I headed to the park. There is just enough sunlight in the evenings now that I can squeeze in a quick round of walking at the local park. As a bonus, the park has a small lake (large pond?) and the sun was peacefully setting. It was peaceful and serene- the sunset and clouds perfectly mirrored in the water, not a breeze in the air. It was a perfect, quiet end to my absolutely crazy day, and for that I was thankful.

IMG_2836

Remember to take pleasure in the simple things!!

1 comment:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Comments warmly welcomed! :-)